Tuesday, January 13, 2009

7, 12 and 40

Brad is working 7 days a week, midnight to noon for 40 days, it is rumored that then he will have a day off. He's not counting. There is a large rotation still there doing training that are about to go home, the constant talk and excitement gets old.

It has been quite difficult to get fruits and vegetables regularly in Iraq for Brad. He works on the flight line so he cannot go to the chow hall for 2 of the 3 meals; he has to eat whatever they bring him. The individuals shuttling around the food are contract laborers with KBR (formerly a subsidiary of Halliburton). KBR has won contracts previously in the Vietnam War as well as World War II. These lower leveled employees are often Iraqi with limited to no English skills. He generally gets large piles of meat and white carbs, he only eats the white carbs. (I bet he is enjoying those protein drinks we sent him.)

Yesterday the boys and I went shopping for fruit leather. I was so excited to find a really yummy dried fruit and vegetable blend that is 100% natural. The kids and I ate it like candy and though it is high in fructose, it will help with the dietary transition.

Thus far I have gathered 40 DVDs. Brad and his office mates are constructing shelves for DVDs and books to trade within their group. I hope to send over more DVDs as I gather them so he can continue to take them to the community rooms. It is projects like this that help him manage day to day.

On a Mollie note, I totally underestimated what my experience would entail with Brad’s departure. I didn't anticipate finding myself paralyzed with bouts of depression and feeling more comfortable socially reclusive. As a usually very active person, I find a lot of my time is used in seemingly nonproductive manners, watching TV, daydreaming.... I have no idea how other women get through similar things, I should start to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment